Tuesday, March 5, 2013

You'll see.

Bags packed, clothes away.
Phone, wallet, Ipod - 'kay.
You sure you have everything?
Hey, no need to snap at me!

I KNOW you've been away before.
I KNOW you've flown across the world.
But still, you know, can't check too much
for what you choose to bring and such.

You've been away for weeks, and farther,
but this is tough for me and your father.
This time it's like you're gone forever -
like you've died, and gone into the ether.

I know we'll have Facebook and also the phone,
and of course there's your younger brothers - your clones.
But still. I worry. Can you blame me?
Wait 'till your own children go - you'll see.

Now you call me silly.
Now you say I worry.
But many years later, when you're older,
grown to love them, and expect them -
Then, when you love them most,
they'll leave.
And then you'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment